December 1, 2011

cranberry sauce muffins (gluten free)

I made a boatload of cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving.  I might have been a bit overzealous about our guests appetite for this delicious sauce.  My husband saw the vat of sauce I was making and informed me that I would most likely be the only one eating it.  Did this stop me? Nope. Now to be fair, some of our guests did enjoy the sauce but the hubs was correct that I made way to much. I didn't know what to do with the extras until I spotted a box of King Arthur's Gluten Free Muffin Mix in my pantry.  I figured, why not?  Let's just see how this works out and low and behold the muffins came out light and fluffy with just the right amount of tart and sweet.  I added a little turbinado sugar to the top of the muffins while they baked and it created the prefect little crunch, let's be real here, who doesn't enjoy crunchy little sugary bits on top of a muffin? 

Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) bag of fresh cranberries, cleaned
1 3/4 cups agave
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 orange, zest grated and juiced
1 lemon, zest grated and juiced
3/4 cup raisins 

Cook the cranberries, Agave, and 1 cup of water in a sauce pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the skins pop open.  Add the apple, zests and juices and cook for 15 more minutes.  Remove from heat and add the raisins.  Let cool and serve chilled.  

Cranberry Sauce Muffins

1 box King Arthur's Gluten Free Muffin Mix 
1 1/2 cups cranberry sauce
3 eggs
6 tablespoons melted butter (I used Earth Balance)
3/4 cup almond milk
Follow directions on the box and add in your cranberry sauce, top them with some turbinado sugar.  Pop them in the oven at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. These were delicious! Very moist and fluffy. I say this is the ultimate Thanksgiving leftover food!

    ReplyDelete