December 13, 2011

morning glory bread

I have a group of gal pals back home in Seattle (plus the one that resides in Vancouver, B.C.) that I chat with almost daily via group email.  There are six us total, we are all so very different and have been besties since for-evah, we share everything with each other and would do anything for one another.  That's how this recipe came about, one of the gal pals asked me to come up with a muffin that tastes like the morning glory muffin from The Macrina Bakery in Seattle (one of my absolute favorite bakeries in Seattle) that is without sugar, white flour or butter.  

I got to work right away, making these reminded me of when I lived in a little Victorian one bedroom apartment on top of Queen Anne Hill,  I would meet one of my childhood friends in the morning at the bus stop and we would walk to our respective offices downtown Seattle, stopping for morning glory muffins and coffee along the way.  It was usually raining,  you could smell the warm sweet fragrance of the bakery blocks before arriving there.  There was always a line out the door, the muffins would be warm and the coffee would be topped off with a scoop of vanilla sugar (they keep it out on the counter for everyone to use). I miss home. 

I first made this recipe into muffins, top them off with a little raw sugar and when you close your eyes you'll swear you are sitting in the Macrina Bakery.  They were so good I thought I would make a loaf of bread, just to see what happens.  The bread was equally as good and did not last long at our house. 

Morning Glory Bread (or muffins)

2 cups almond flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt 
1 Tblsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas
3 eggs
1 cup raisins + 3/4 cup raisins for adding into the mix
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1 cup unsweetened coconut
Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 350.

In a small bowl, combine almond flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
In a food processor, combine 1 cup raisins, bananas, eggs, vinegar and oil
Transfer mixture to a large bowl and blend until completely combined
Fold in carrots, remaing 3/4 cup raisins and coconut
Pour mixture into parchment paper lined bread pan  (or paper lined muffin tin)
Bake at 350° for 60 minutes (for bread) 25 minutes for muffins







 

No comments:

Post a Comment