December 7, 2011

pesto zucchini and squash "spaghetti"


A couple of my friends are doing the Paleo Diet I've heard of it but never really investigated it.  I tasted some muffins a friend made this weekend and thought, I need to check this out.  The muffins were mighty taste and gluten free.  After a bit of research it appears the Paleo plan is naturally gluten free and has an emphasis on whole foods and no processed sugars.  Turns out, unbeknownst to me and the hubby we already eat a Paleo Diet, give or take a few things.  I'm rambling. 

The whole point of this is that while I was researching this eating plan I discovered a recipe for "spaghetti" made of zucchini.  We generally use spaghetti squash in place of noodles so I thought I would attempt this for dinner last night and it did not disappoint.  It was also very easy to prepare and was just as satisfying as a plate of pasta without the carbicide bloat. 

Pesto Zucchini and Squash "Spaghetti"
Adapted from Perry's Plate

4 medium zucchini, julienned thinly (I did this by hand so my pieces are far from uniform, a mandoline slicer would have been the ideal gadget to use)
2 medium yellow squash, julienned thinly
1 package hot/spicy ground sausage
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup onions sliced thinly
4 Tblsp prepared basil pesto (or more to taste)
1/2 cup goat cheese (optional)
3 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)

Thinly slice zucchini and yellow squash.  Place zucchini and squash strips in a colander over a bowl or in the sink.  Sprinkle zucchini and squash with salt and toss to combine.  Let the veggies sit for 15 minutes while the salt extracts the moisture.  Drain excess water, squeezing zucchini and squash if necessary.

Meanwhile, cook ground sausage in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, turn frequently.  Once the sausage has cooked through toss in the onions, broccoli, mushrooms and cook until the veggies are crisp-tender. 

You can cook the bacon at this time with the sausage; I prefer to bake my bacon in the oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, set aside and crumble into the mixture after it is prepared.

Remove sausage/veggie mixture from the pan, set on a plate with a napkin to drain any excess oil.

Return pan to medium heat.  Add zucchini and squash with 2 Tblsp. of the pesto tossing to combine all the ingredients.  The mixture of veggies only needs to cook for about 4 minutes.  Once cooked, add back your sausage and veggie medley plus the additional 2 Tblsp pesto, crumbled bacon and 1/2 cup goat cheese.  Toss until all ingredients are mixed evenly.  Serve warm! (Serves 4). 


1 comment:

  1. I thought I would like spaghetti squash but I just don't. I think it's the stringiness. And D.R. won't touch it with a ten foot pole. This recipe sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete