October 3, 2011

dark chocolate cherry no bake cookies (gluten free & vegan)

Want a chocotastic (yes, that's a word) treat?  Then whip up a batch of these babies, vegan, gluten free and packed with stuff that is good for you - hello dark chocolate and antioxidant rich cherries.  I found the inspiration for this recipe from these Banana No Bake Cookies by the lovely gal at Back to Her Roots 

 

Saturday my hubs and I woke to a brilliantly cool fall morning.  This is a big deal around these parts, cool weather has not been felt since last April, or was it March?  The South takes its heat quite seriously; it was a perfect morning to run in the Mogadishu Mile Memorial Race.  The race honors the 6 fallen soldiers of that tragic day 18 years ago and helps raise funds for the Ranger Assistance Foundation (a wonderful non-profit organization dedicated to supporting our wounded Rangers and the families of those soldiers that have made the ultimate sacrifice).   All that running and good fellowship with our Ranger family made me want a sweet chocolate treat in the afternoon so out came the dark chocolate cherry no bake cookies.  Easy to make and even easier to devour! 

 

Dark Chocolate Cherry No Bake Cookies

Inspired by Back To Her Roots
Makes 18 large cookies

Ingredients

  • 2 medium bananas, cut into chunks
  • 1 cup soy-free, dairy-free dark chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup sunbutter
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
  • 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups rolled gluten-free oats
  • 1 cup dried cherries

Here’s what you do:

  1. In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine banana chunks, chocolate chips, sunbutter, cocoa power, non-dairy milk and salt. Heat for 2-3 minutes or until just beginning to bubble.
  2. Using a fork, mash the bananas in chocolate mixture until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, add in vanilla, almond extract and dried cherries.
  3. Stir in oats until well-coated.
  4. Spoon rounded tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper and let cool. Chill in fridge or freezer for a more solid cookie (I stored mine in the fridge for a cool fudge cookie treat, perfect with a glass of almond /milk). 
Me and my Ranger in all our sweaty glory after the race

Mog Mile Oct 1 2011

Mog Mile Oct 1 2011
Our buddy Sgt. Johnson leading his men

4 comments:

  1. Those look DELISH, Bridget B! I haven't used Sun Butter before. I'm going to pick some up next time I'm at PCC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shocked at how good these are..I can't stop eating them! Thank you for such a great and healthy treat B!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tribs! Feel free to use regular peanut butter as well but I do recommend Sunbutter as well, very tasty if you have nut allergies and love that peanut butter flavor. Let me know how yours turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rach, glad you can be my taste tester!

    ReplyDelete