October 20, 2011

grilled shrimp tacos with roasted cabbage

Roasted cabbage is a staple in our house.  My mom is actually the one who suggested I roast a batch.  When my mother recommends a recipe, I have to try it; my mother is one of the most talented, creative people I know, but the lady doesn’t like to cook and makes no qualms about it. The fact that she recommended this to me meant I just had to do what she said and it turned out that we now eat this at least once a week as a side and I mix it into all kinds of recipes, including this one for shrimp tacos.  Most shrimp tacos have some kind of crunchy cabbage slaw, I figured crispy roasted cabbage would be just as good if not better.  Hubby says these are his favorite tacos now and requested I make them twice in one week.

shrimp tacos with roasted cabbage

1 lb or package of frozen large peeled & devined shrimp (I have limited fresh seafood options so I use frozen)
3 tablespoons seafood seasoning dry rub (I used Tom Douglas Seafood rub)
4-6 bamboo skewers, soaked in water before grilling
1 small head purple cabbage (or regular)
1 medium onion, sautéed
Goat cheese crumbles or queso fresco (I only had goat cheese on hand but the queso is awesome with these)
1 container greek yogurt (optional)
4-5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
Corn or flour tortillas
Pinch salt & pepper
Sriracho hot chili sauce (optional)

Here’s what you do:
*I found that prepping much of the ingredients even a day ahead of time made this for an easy and quick meal despite the lengthy looking process below.

Heat oven to 425 degrees and prepare a baking pan with olive oil to prevent sticking.

For the cabbage:
Chop cabbage in half, laying center flat on cutting board, slice into thin strips, and lay out evenly on baking sheet.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast for 15-25 minutes, flipping each piece half way through roasting.  (I prefer mine crunchier and usually leave it in 25 minutes until the edges brown).  Set aside after cooked.

For onion:
Chop onion into thin slices and sauté on low-medium with olive oil or a pat of butter (butter substitute) on stove top for 20 minutes or longer if you want to reduce them down over low heat.  Set aside after cooked.

For the shrimp:
Take the tails off your shrimp (I prefer it this way but you could leave them on), soak your bamboo skewers in water for a few minutes before using them.  Skewer your shrimp onto the bamboo skewers, sprinkle with rub on both sides.  Fire up your grill, either charcoal or gas and cook 3 minutes on each side.  Set aside after cooked.

Now that all your ingredients are roasted, sautéed and grilled, you can begin the fun part – assembly!  Warm your tortillas on a griddle/pan or wrapped in a damp paper towel in the microwave for a few seconds if using corn tortillas.  Layer with a tablespoon of greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), grilled shrimp, onions, sprinkle of bacon crumbs, cabbage and goat cheese.  Top with Sriracha and enjoy!  


No comments:

Post a Comment