October 5, 2011

zucchini pineapple quick bread (gluten free & vegan)

My grandma makes the best quick breads on the West Coast, it’s the truth, and she doesn’t measure or follow a recipe.  The woman has talent, she’s 85 and been making the same recipes for so many years that she can just whip up a batch of bread while giving you the overview of her latest world travel, last year it was touring Turkey for a month. 

There are days when I crave a thick slab of her pumpkin date bread and a cup of coffee in her kitchen.  I started thinking about that bread and it got stuck in my head, being that we live across the country from each other right now and my pantry had no pumpkin or dates in it this week, I decided to make the next best thing which in this case meant zucchini pineapple bread.  Pumpkin date bread, I will make you soon!

Don’t tell grams but I used a mix for the bread, I had a package of The Cravings Place Quick Bread in the cupboard and to be honest I am short on time this week.  Every night this week is packed full.  I grabbed the package for the bread, surveyed the pantry and the zucchini and pineapple were starring me in the face.  They practically told me they were going to be in the bread and I am so glad I listened.  This bread, while not my grandmas was delicious.  In fact, it was so good; I ate two slices of it standing up in my own kitchen before I realized I hadn’t even fixed my coffee. 

Zucchini Pineapple Quick Bread (gluten free & vegan)

1 package The Cravings Place Quick Break & Muffin Mix (not presweetened)
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or sweetened if you like)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 can unsweetened crushed pineapple + juice from the can
1 ¼ cups agave
1 cup water
2 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar (optional)

Here’s what you do:

Heat oven to 375 degrees and prepare 2 baking pans 9 x 5 x 3 with gluten-free cooking spray

In large bowl combine dry mix, 1/3 cup applesauce, 1/4 cup oil, 1 can crushed pineapple, 2 cups zucchini, 1 ¼ cup agave, 1 cup water, stir until thoroughly mixed.  Pour into prepared pans.  Sprinkle with raw turninado sugar (optional).

Bake for 60 minutes, the top will be golden brown, cool on wire wrack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan, leave on wire rack for at least one hour after out of the pan.  This bread is easiest to slice when completely cooled. 

Serve it up with a pat of Earth Balance butter substitute (or butter) and enjoy!

Do you have a favorite baked goodie from your grandma?

2 comments:

  1. I miss my Granny's lemon cheesecake, which isn't actually a cheesecake (I don't know why it was called that). No one makes it like she did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see that recipe! Sounds delish, lemon not-cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete